How about this for a deal ...

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

How about this for a deal ...

Post by PeterN » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:11 pm

I bought another 406 estate recently as you know and have been looking for an electric drivers seat, the passenger seat is electric but someone has changed the drivers seat to a manual one which doesn't have nearly as much adjustment as the electric one.

I have been looking everywhere for and electric one with very little success, even the confederation of breakers who normally bombard you with emails apparently haven't got any. There was a firm in Dorset advertising a pair of front leather ones which they had been advertising for about 18 months, last week I found another breaker with the rear seats and door cards, so I phoned the firm with the front ones and they had sold them that weekend. :x

However there was someone in east London advertising a complete set of cloth ones, looked very nice in the picture, so I went up there yesterday having stayed overnight with a friend in Sevenoaks. Apart from the diabolical journey it worked out very well, this chap is in Willesden and works out of a couple of lock up garages, he was in the process of removing the seats from the other car.

He asked me if I wanted the old rear seats and as they wont take them at the recycling centre I said he could have them, he took them out and fitted the replacements. He then asked me if I wanted the old door cards same answer so he removed them and fitted the replacement ones. I then asked him about a glove box as the lock is broken on mine which he duly supplied and fitted - total bill £50.00. :shock:

I now only have to fit the front seats and job done. 8)

Peter

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: How about this for a deal ...

Post by GingerMagic » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Very good fortune indeed.....
The front seats are easy, you will need your ignition to have been off for at least 5 mins before unplugging the air bag connectors under the seats.
1999 T4 family wagon
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso Hdi90
2003 Hdi110 Executive estate
1998 406 V6 Coupe - Midlife crisis..!
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:54 pm

He had to cut the airbag warning leads, someone had obviously had problems with the light coming on, asked me if I could manage with that, I said just about, I was a TV engineer for 50 years. :wink: Do you know if the heated seat leads are present or do you only get those in the Executive?

Peter

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:09 pm

The leads are there in your GLX ( big brown connector ) but the power supply isn't. If you find the 2 heated seat switches that fit into the centre bit by the hand brake and wire them in then they will work. Only the leather seats are heated.
I must confess I haven't done mine yet, but apparently I could spur off the red lead on the lighter, to the orange wires on the switches.??
1999 T4 family wagon
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso Hdi90
2003 Hdi110 Executive estate
1998 406 V6 Coupe - Midlife crisis..!
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:22 am

I originally wanted leather seats but there don't seem to be any decent ones at the moment, I do like my warmth. The ones I have bought are very nice though, they are a creamy/beige colour, quite lightens up the inside of the car although not very practical if carrying grand children. :frown:

Peter

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:43 am

Very good deal although I'm not surprised as you seem a decent sort of chap so he must have been happy to help, it's rare for buyers/sellers to meet and actually get along so well; like when I met Bailes from here recently it was all very easy and pleasant which is how it should be.
Cars in my care:

2005 Volvo S40 T5 a bit pampered
2010 Citroen C4 1.6 HDi turbo de' explosions
2010 Renner Twingo refreshingly simple

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks you for your kind words, I try to get on with everybody, there are enough problems in this world without creating your own. I was very pleasantly surprised at his service, he is a foreign gentleman, possibly eastern European but he certainly has a good work ethic, he had quite a few other 406 bits on his 'other items' section, some cheap some not but a useful source of supply if you are in the area, from my point of view it was worth the hassle of the trip for what I got, I now have a fully functioning nice car, it even has new keys and the remote locking and the aircon work - and I forgot to mention, 11 months MOT and half a tank of diesel. 8)

Peter

omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:21 pm

I threw my mint black ones away as I couldn't sell the set a t 50 pounds including door cards as well which were the rare leather ones.

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 am

Thank you very much - I've got friends in Derbyshire. :wink:

Peter

omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 pm

PeterN wrote:Thank you very much - I've got friends in Derbyshire. :wink:

Peter
advertised it on here as well as ebay not a sniff!

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:19 am

I probably wasn't looking for them then. :(

Peter

CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:44 pm

GingerMagic wrote:Very good fortune indeed.....
The front seats are easy, you will need your ignition to have been off for at least 5 mins before unplugging the air bag connectors under the seats.
Cheers, that's saved me making a new thread - wasn't sure if it required battery disconnecting. Some decidedly tired seats to replace at the weekend and the thought of getting knocked out by an airbag was kinda niggling :)