[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
406oc.co.uk • View topic - 406 handbrake, what shoes do you use?

406 handbrake, what shoes do you use?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

406 handbrake, what shoes do you use?

Postby PeterN » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:57 pm

After completely rebuilding the handbrake system on my first 406 and it making no difference I came to the conclusion it must be the lining material that determines whether they work or not. The second one I bought has a working handbrake :shock: but the last one is the same as the first.

I haven't had occasion to change the shoes on the two latest ones but what I have noticed is that if the car is left standing for a day or two in damp weather the handbrake works a treat - the first time you use it, presumable because the drum has gone rusty and increased the friction.

So, does anyone know the secret lining material? I have a set of Mintex in stock awaiting the next overhaul but perhaps those of you whose handbrake works can tell us what linings you use.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: 406 handbrake, what shoes do you use?

Postby dirtydirtydiesel » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Peter,
I have Pagid disc's , pads & shoes on the rear of mine & you know how good my handbrake is :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue!
With great power comes great responsablity!!!!!!
(I'm still looking for the f*****g power)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pp2000 owner / user, can offer Diagnostic's / fault code, reading / clearing for beer tokens in Leicestershire.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Postby jasper5 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:41 am

I always use Mintex, but it isn't really down to the make of shoes.

I never have a problem with any 406 I own or owned nor any that I've serviced for customers.

My handbrake works perfectly.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Postby PeterN » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for your comments.

Dirty diesel

I will bear that in mind.

Jasper.

I think it must be something to do with where you live, as stated I have had three 406 estates and only one has a reasonable handbrake, my son has a Coupe, his is also not much good and two friend on mine have 406s that I got for them and theirs are pretty useless too. My MOT man says they all are, so there must be something magic where you live.

All my hydropnumatic Citroens had superb handbrakes except possibly the CXs unless they had just been adjusted but even my 406 with the 'good' handbrake you have to pull up pretty hard. It is very hilly down here though.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Postby trufflehunt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:24 pm

2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Retired).
trufflehunt
2.0 Turbo

Postby PhillipM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Nah, just a crap system. The leverage decreases as the handbrake comes up which is arse backwards.

I've been contemplating having my shoes relined with a rally compound to be honest, even in tip-top condition it's crap.
PhillipM
1.8 8v

Postby PeterN » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 pm

I reckon jasper has a secret formula for them. :wink:

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Postby GingerMagic » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Mine is good, I adjust it before the MOT, using the cog in the drum, and it's fine for a year.
I do use the handbrake to slow the car when I'm in traffic occasionally, which I think takes the sheen off the drums...

Maybe it's down to certain discs and certain shoes combo....
1999 T4 family wagon, slow as a turd but the kids like it
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso Hdi90 - Dirtied by the kids, Dented by the wife....
Sadly sold the 406, best cars I have ever owned
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Postby PhillipM » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:23 pm

PhillipM
1.8 8v

Postby jasper5 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:12 pm

jasper5
3.0 24v

Postby PeterN » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:50 am

There is something odd here with different members having different experiences. When I bought my first one the handbrake would work after a style, it passed the MOT but was nothing like as good as most of the previous cars I had, you really have to pull on it to hold it on a hill.

I replaced everything ,shoes, disks/drums and the two rear cables, set it up as per the book - no difference, works better when you have just adjusted the shoes but not for long. The next year when it went for MOT the tester broke the main cable trying to get a high enough reading, I replaced that, not an easy job, adjusted it according to the book and it was still no better, passed the MOT because you could now pull it up hard enough. I can only think as I said earlier that its down to brake lining material.

I'm not a novice at this, I've been repairing my own cars and other peoples since the 1950s.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Postby PhillipM » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:11 pm

PhillipM
1.8 8v

Postby PeterN » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Would have thought that rally linings would be harder, I think a softer compound is what's needed - just a thought.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Postby jasper5 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:09 pm

jasper5
3.0 24v

Postby PhillipM » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Mine are adjusted correctly, the handbrake will hold on 4 clicks. It's just not very good.

(I only have a decade of experience with building brake systems from scratch for multiple championship winning rally cars)
Last edited by PhillipM on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhillipM
1.8 8v

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres