[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
406oc.co.uk • View topic - Oh Bugger! (Suspect handbrake shoe lining loose)

Oh Bugger! (Suspect handbrake shoe lining loose)

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Oh Bugger! (Suspect handbrake shoe lining loose)

Postby Doggy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:03 pm

Drove a few hundred yards this evening when there was a really loud bang-cum-springy twang.
Thought it might've been a front spring, but the ride height's normal all round and nothing visibly amiss.
Moved off slowly with the window open & there's a rythmic tapping noise, sounds like each turn of the roadwheels. Stopped again & inspected tyres in case I'd picked something up in one but all looked OK.
Handbrake still works, no odd noises when pulling it on at walking speed....
No noise from the service brakes, but still that tapping noise.
Decided to turn round & go back home. When I reversed there was a serious metal-to-metal grinding noise, but all OK going forward. :?
Got it up to about 25 & braked quite hard - everything normal and no noises.

My best guess is I've got a detached lining on one of the handbrake shoes. (Any other suggestions gratefully received).

Looks like a fun* weekend ahead. Thankfully I have a loan of my daughter's 307 to get to work tomorrow, but Monday's another thing. :roll:
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Oh Bugger! (Suspect handbrake shoe lining loose)

Postby steve_earwig » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Could be. Jack each corner up and spin the wheels each way?

Reminds me, when I had yoyoiI serviced the other week I had to walk down to the car spares shop to buy a couple of numberplate bulbs. On the way back I saw a Mk2 Ashray estate coming out of Lidl's carpark stop, the guy got out and looked around the car, then got back in. I was walking across behind him and as he pulled forward a bit I saw the broken end of a road spring lying on the crossing, so I picked it up, tapped on his window and asked "were you looking for this?" He took it, said thankyou, handed it to his wife and drove off. I'm still wondering if it was off his car or he'd flipped it up somehow driving over it and it had banged off the bottom of his car.
Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby Doggy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Doggy

Postby PeterN » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:56 am

If you had lost a lining I would have thought that would have been accompanied by a loud scraping noise.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Postby Welly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:59 am

Sounds like the handbrake bits within the drum, you were lucky* as very often the wheel locks on some cars.

I guess if you couldn't source the parts this weekend for some reason or the back plates need attention then you could remove the handbrake stuff temporarily as the footbrake will still function?

Say's the man who's been living without a handbrake for a week :supafrisk:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Postby Doggy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Never have noticed.

Doggy

Postby Doggy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:56 pm

The motor factors half a mile from home tell me they have a set of shoes in stock for £20 & they're open tomorrow, so I will attempt to 'reach an understanding with it' then.

Can you send some dry weather, please? (Forecast is 5-7 degrees and fog, so fingers crossed).
Doggy

Postby Welly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:54 pm

You can has my virtual moral support from here, not easy messing about with rear drumage type discs, I understand they can put up a fight and rather like to stay where they were thank you very much :frown: obvs yours will be a walk in the park :cheesy:
Welly

Postby GingerMagic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:20 pm

1999 T4 family wagon, slow as a turd but the kids like it
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso Hdi90 - Dirtied by the kids, Dented by the wife....
Sadly sold the 406, best cars I have ever owned
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Postby Doggy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Well. it's sorted at least for now. 8)
One detached lining as expected, but the bad news is the backplate is corroded enough for the bottom shoe spring gubbins to have pulled through the enlarged hole. :(
I'm going to have to revisit this when the weather's better - the calipers need freeing off and it really wants a set of rear discs, but my favourite armchair is useable again. :)
Doggy

Postby KozmoNaut » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:43 pm

2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Postby steve_earwig » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby Doggy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Possibly. I would need to patch the immediate area where the shoe retaining clip goes, but other than that the backplate looks fairly sound.
Doggy

Postby grasmere59 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:10 pm

I've heard of someone using a small bolt and a nyloc nut or equivalent with a washer at the head to stop pulling through the backplate and another at the spring end,seem to recall it worked well.
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red,chesnut leather
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport auto in Black,sandstone leather
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200 Super Tenere
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "02"Triumph Tiger 955i
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Postby Welly » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:55 am

That's what I was thinking; de-rust and an anti-rust coating then large washers either side of hole etc.
Welly

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres