Winters off, summers on.

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Winters off, summers on.

Postby GingerMagic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 pm

I now have a spare set of Coupe Hoggars ( thanks to members of the Coupe club.. :cheesy: ) which have been poorly resprayed in Halfords finest* silver paint by me, and will have 4 x brand new , yes I said brand new ( which I haven't had for over 8 years...) Kumho something or other for about £57 per corner inc the dreaded.

Winters off, then Summers on at some point this week. I may even look at the handbrake while I'm changing them over.. :wink:
1999 T4 family wagon, slow as a turd but the kids like it
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso Hdi90 - Dirtied by the kids, Dented by the wife....
Sadly sold the 406, best cars I have ever owned
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Postby DaiRees » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm

It's that time again. 8)

Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
DaiRees
Site Admin

Postby dirtydirtydiesel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Blimey Dia,
Did you actually bother fitting them last winter :shock:
I haven't since I bought them :frown:
Worst weather this winter for us was -5 with a bit of surface ice, mostly 0°- 5° :roll:
Yesterday it was 23° 8) roll on summer, it'll probably be cold and wet :wink:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue!
With great power comes great responsablity!!!!!!
(I'm still looking for the f*****g power)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pp2000 owner / user, can offer Diagnostic's / fault code, reading / clearing for beer tokens in Leicestershire.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Postby steve_earwig » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 am

If the temp's -5, or even 0-5 then you should be better off on the winters, as below 7 (I think it is, too lazy to look it up again) the winter's should be coming into their own (over summer tyres). The best you can do is see what sort of temperatures you're doing the majority of your driving in (off to work at the crack of dawn?) and fit the appropriate tyres.

Of course, the moment you fit the winters it's guaranteed the temperature will never drop below 7 degrees again :roll:

Yoyo II came with all-season tyres 8) Sadly they were frightening in the snow as, when I tried to sling it around like I did the old yoyo on its proper winter tyres, it headed straight for the nearest traffic island :roll:
Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby Welly » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:29 pm

I think my winters have 'gone off' as in they seem a bit hard and skittish now. Once I swap over to summers* end of this month then I'm not bothering with winters again.

It was all a bit 2010 OMG SNOWCHAOS at the time but we've not seen a drop since. Blame this on global warming and particulate matter literally BELCHING out of de-fapped French motors.

If it snows like f*ck next winter then I won't use the car for what? half a day? :roll:
Respected Motorist wrote:I've been driving for years and never had any problems with night time visibility until these new cars came out with their stupid bright headlights
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Postby Doggy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Just like to offer some recognition the selfless behaviour of the Volvo / winter boots contingent who have kept the UK roads snow free for some years now.
Well done.
:D
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Postby Welly » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:52 am

You're welcome.

After all its not like the last 5 years of bi-annual tyre swaps and re-balancing has cost me a SMALL FORTUNE or anything :cry:
Respected Motorist wrote:I've been driving for years and never had any problems with night time visibility until these new cars came out with their stupid bright headlights
Welly

Postby Welly » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:36 am

Dai, where are you jacking the car up from underneath? I mean what part did you place the jack under?
Welly

Postby Doggy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Welly wrote:You're welcome.

After all its not like the last 5 years of bi-annual tyre swaps and re-balancing has cost me a SMALL FORTUNE or anything :cry:

As I said, selfless.

:idea: Maybe we could negotiate a discount for you on oil & the like...
Doggy

Postby DaiRees » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Welly wrote:Image

Dai, where are you jacking the car up from underneath? I mean what part did you place the jack under?

There's a cross member there with very convenient shape ideal for a trolley jack. I'm always very conscious of where to jack a car not to cause damage to sills and floor etc.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
DaiRees
Site Admin

Postby Doggy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Me too, but I'd have an axle stand under there too.
(There's clearly nowt wrong with my 20+ year old Chinese trolley jack, but I remain deeply skeptical about it's safety and longevity).
Doggy

Postby Welly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:46 am

But where would you place the Axle Standz?

Says he who's embarking on doing his own maintenance in future as is fed up with paying labour charges so might as well buy the kit instead. He's also capable of doing said work and used to in the past but has probably done it when not so afraid of his own safety.....
Welly

Postby DaiRees » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Welly wrote:But where would you place the Axle Standz?

Under the lower suspension arm, that'd be fine. I realised that where I have the jack positioned there I can jack it up high enough that the back wheel comes off the ground too, so I can change both wheels on either side with one jacking point. Also because I'm just swapping wheels they're only off for a few seconds (or long enough to take a photo lol), I'd never try to do any work on it when it's up like that without standz!
DaiRees
Site Admin

Postby Welly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm

I read on the internetz that suspension arms/mountings are not to be used as jacking points? they weren't designed to take a point load in that way? in your example once the rear wheel leaves the ground then the sussy arm is taking the weight of what would've been shared by two wheels and the top mounts etc etc. in my mind once you offer a jack into position then that point takes over as the weight-handling part of the whole process?
Welly

Postby Bailes1992 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 am

I've always jacked from subframe or suspension mounts. Hate jacking from sills.
2015 Ford Focus Titanium 1.5TDCi (120ps) - Daily
2013 VW Polo Match 1.2 - Wife's
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi - Toy
Bailes1992

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres