James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com

James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi all,

Been meaning to get a thread posted for a while but thought I'd wait until I had something substantial to post!

I got the car from my uncle back in April as a workhorse car (the MR2 doesnt fare well on 80 mile a day commutes!).

As soon as I got it, I got to work doing all the servicing that it should have already had, but had been neglected a little, so it got:

I then got round to installing some left over in car audio (I somehow seemed to have a spare headunit and iPod adaptor:
Image
Image

I have a spare amp and sub too which I plan to install when I get a free weekend!

It was when I saw the car hit 140,000 that I started worrying about other periodic maintenance, namely the timing belt. So I started scrabbling around the service history looking for proof of changes. To my chagrin, I found out the last time the belt was changed was at 50,000 miles! :shock: This made even the most conservative estimate show that a new belt was 18k overdue!!

So after looking around into the ins and outs of the cambelt and discovering it was a mare, I decided to get a quote from a guy who did an engine swap in my friend's 405 Turbo D, namely KrisB - a Peugeot/Citroen specialist. I asked him how much to do a cambelt change and got a very good quote, but he then suggested something else - why not do a Bosch pump swap at the same time?

Having heard many horror stories about the Lucas "EPIC" pump, plus the current price of pump diesel, I took the plunge and got Kris to supply and fit a Bosch VE pump at the same time as the cambelt. I must say I'm glad I did, as the car now feels much better after tuning the pump up a bit, and advancing it too so I can run it on vegetable oil! :cheesy:
Image

I've now discovered first hand what happens when you run a newer ECU on a Bosch pump though, you get the check engine light and no tacho above 3000rpm! So I thought I'd take the plunge and buy an earlier ECU from the bay, and will update you on that.
My ECU:
Image
I'll type out the part numbers too in case Google reads this:
DCU R 04010028 B
80768B
SERIAL No 2178 JPG
96 304 669 80
XUDLC01


Numbers from the earlier ECU:
DCU R 04010019 A
80708A
SERIAL No 91243 GOG
96 274 538 80
XUDLC01

(I think the important numbers in these are the B and the A, someone on vegetableoildiesel.co.uk I was speaking to who cured the same problem said he thinks the one that fixed it ended in A, but I'll keep you guys up to date!)

So that's where I'm up to so far!

Image

I've only got a picture of the back at the moment, but as I do more things (considering new alloys) I'll keep this thread updated!

Hopefully I didn't ramble too much there!

James :)
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby KrisB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks for the mention James.

For anyone who may need a Bosch conversion then feel free to checkout my website. http://www.krisb.co.uk/latest-news/peug ... onversion/

Kris
KrisB
1.8 8v
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby omega » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:11 pm

KrisB wrote:Thanks for the mention James.

For anyone who may need a Bosch conversion then feel free to checkout my website. http://www.krisb.co.uk/latest-news/peug ... onversion/

Kris


so are you useing the standard injectores
omega
3.0 24v
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:25 am
Location: nottingham

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:44 pm

From what I remember they're Bosch injectors from a 1.9 :)
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:30 pm

A couple of small updates, it's now running on 100% SVO and seems totally fine with it, a little lumpy for the first minute in the morning but other than that fine!

I also managed to pick up a set of 406 Coupe 16" wheels, I needed 3 new tyres on my old set anyway so it was the perfect time to get them. Does feel much better to drive too with the wider tyres!
Image

Oh, and I couldn't resist one of these stickers:
Image

:D
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby Bailes1992 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 pm

My 406 had silly thin tyres. I think they were 175/65 R15 from what I remember? I think it's the reason my 406 felt abit wobbly :lol:

How is it all working now with the new ECU?
2016 Ford Focus Style 1.5TDCi (120ps) - Company Car
2016 Dacia Duster Laureate 1.5DCi 4WD - Wife's
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi - Toy
User avatar
Bailes1992
Moderator
 
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Bridgend, South Wales

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Bailes1992 wrote:My 406 had silly thin tyres. I think they were 175/65 R15 from what I remember? I think it's the reason my 406 felt abit wobbly :lol:

How is it all working now with the new ECU?

My old ones were 195/65/15 so a bit thicker but it still felt wobbly! With these (205/55/16) they feel much better, and Hankook tyres all round instead of some mismatched brands!

The new ECU has given me back my tachometer but not fixed the check engine light, so I'll just have to take the bulb out!

Part of me is tempted by these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RACELAND- ... 20b8d55a6b

But I know being that cheap they arent decent coilovers!
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby Bailes1992 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 pm

CalamityJames wrote:
Bailes1992 wrote:My 406 had silly thin tyres. I think they were 175/65 R15 from what I remember? I think it's the reason my 406 felt abit wobbly :lol:

How is it all working now with the new ECU?

My old ones were 195/65/15 so a bit thicker but it still felt wobbly! With these (205/55/16) they feel much better, and Hankook tyres all round instead of some mismatched brands!

The new ECU has given me back my tachometer but not fixed the check engine light, so I'll just have to take the bulb out!

Part of me is tempted by these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RACELAND- ... 20b8d55a6b

But I know being that cheap they arent decent coilovers!


Check engine is nothing, by the time I got rid of my D8 it was missing the airbag, engine management, low coolant and oil pressure light :lol:
You know you want to drop it :p But I do wonder what quality those coil overs are? You don't want them colapsing at 80mph :|
Think i'm going to play it safe when I get my next 406 and just get some Eibach springs on new shocks, not sure if I trust cheap coilovers. Although 406's do need to be pretty low to look tidy :roll:
My Focus is 195/60 R15 and it feels much more stable than my 406, but it goes round corners no faster :|
2016 Ford Focus Style 1.5TDCi (120ps) - Company Car
2016 Dacia Duster Laureate 1.5DCi 4WD - Wife's
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi - Toy
User avatar
Bailes1992
Moderator
 
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Bridgend, South Wales

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Quick update, it failed the MOT at the weekend, which was nice:
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate
Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.2b)
Nearside Headlamp aim too high (1.8 )
Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b )
Front Exhaust has part of the system excessively deteriorated (7.1.1a)
Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke for a turbo charged engine (7.4.B.2b)
Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2a)
Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2a)
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.10)
Advisory Notice issued
Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1f)
Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
Nearside Inner Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Offside Inner Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)
Nearside Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated (2.5.C.1a)
Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)

Currently looking at about £230 to buy a full exhaust system, which sucks but considering I got the car for nothing, I owe it that much, it just doesn't help that insurance is up on the MR2 this month too! :frown:
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby waue1978 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 pm

CalamityJames wrote:Quick update, it failed the MOT at the weekend, which was nice:
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate
Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.2b)
Nearside Headlamp aim too high (1.8 )
Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b )
Front Exhaust has part of the system excessively deteriorated (7.1.1a)
Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke for a turbo charged engine (7.4.B.2b)
Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2a)
Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2a)
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.10)
Advisory Notice issued
Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1f)
Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
Nearside Inner Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Offside Inner Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)
Nearside Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated (2.5.C.1a)
Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)

Currently looking at about £230 to buy a full exhaust system, which sucks but considering I got the car for nothing, I owe it that much, it just doesn't help that insurance is up on the MR2 this month too! :frown:


Does look a bit depressing until you realise all it actually needs to pass is an exhaust, 2 bulbs & the headlamp ligned up. Advises might cost a few quid to get done though.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Image
User avatar
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: Andover, Hampshire

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Managed to get the backbox off, needless to say it definitely needed replacing, it had at least 2 holes in it, and one of the mounts was clean off (it turned out the previous owner mounted it with some stiff wire!)

I'll order a new one tomorrow so at least that saves me a few £££ however I tried taking the front pipe off but had no joy, those sprung bolts are a nightmare, plus the turbo downpipe is so far up its nigh on impossible to get the grip round a spanner on top of the bolt! Might have to resign that one to a professional!
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:37 am

It passed! :cheesy:

Managed to fiddle the emissions though, set the governor to 3.5k and turned the fuelling screw right down to get a a reading of 0.65 on the smoke test! Had a play getting the pump set up properly afterwards and it's smoking much less in general now :)
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby Doggy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Well done. 8)

Did your adjusstments have much effect on performance?
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate
User avatar
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!
 
Posts: 9792
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Northants

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby CalamityJames » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 pm

dogslife wrote:Well done. 8)

Did your adjusstments have much effect on performance?

With the governor at 3.5k the car hardly got on boost on the way to the test centre, it felt awful, but now i've had a bit of a tweak it feels a bit more back to normal, however I need to fix a leak in the inlet manifold seals and get the pump tuned properly as it doesn't feel like it's reaching its full potential.

The problem is there's no definitive guide to tuning the VE pump, a lot of it seems to be trial and error, and for a daily driver, errors could be baaaad news! :twisted:
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
User avatar
CalamityJames
2.0 16v
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Kent

Re: James' 2.1 TD GLX Estate, with added Bosch power!

Postby diegostar » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello :cheesy:

I've got a very very good and big tip for your bosch 406 2.1 converted, especially for tacho brake down at 3000 rpm.

You don't need to buy a special ecu from 1996, with a strict serial. Just keep your origal ECU :cheesy: :cheesy:

You just have to let your accelerator potentiometer connected and blocked at the maximum position.

You can easy use a colson to block the potentiometer to the max position.

And it's enough !! Your tacho will not drop at 3000 rpm !! :cheesy:

I hope this tip will help you. I found it after watching those very interesting french video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTODC4KMTJw

Best regards,
diegostar
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Next

Return to Pug pictures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron