Been meaning to get a thread posted for a while but thought I'd wait until I had something substantial to post!
I got the car from my uncle back in April as a workhorse car (the MR2 doesnt fare well on 80 mile a day commutes!).
As soon as I got it, I got to work doing all the servicing that it should have already had, but had been neglected a little, so it got:
- Oil + filter change
- Fuel filter
- Air filter
- Pollen filter (I've never seen one so disgusting! - http://i.imgur.com/gWl3l.jpg )
I have a spare amp and sub too which I plan to install when I get a free weekend!
It was when I saw the car hit 140,000 that I started worrying about other periodic maintenance, namely the timing belt. So I started scrabbling around the service history looking for proof of changes. To my chagrin, I found out the last time the belt was changed was at 50,000 miles! This made even the most conservative estimate show that a new belt was 18k overdue!!
So after looking around into the ins and outs of the cambelt and discovering it was a mare, I decided to get a quote from a guy who did an engine swap in my friend's 405 Turbo D, namely KrisB - a Peugeot/Citroen specialist. I asked him how much to do a cambelt change and got a very good quote, but he then suggested something else - why not do a Bosch pump swap at the same time?
Having heard many horror stories about the Lucas "EPIC" pump, plus the current price of pump diesel, I took the plunge and got Kris to supply and fit a Bosch VE pump at the same time as the cambelt. I must say I'm glad I did, as the car now feels much better after tuning the pump up a bit, and advancing it too so I can run it on vegetable oil!
I've now discovered first hand what happens when you run a newer ECU on a Bosch pump though, you get the check engine light and no tacho above 3000rpm! So I thought I'd take the plunge and buy an earlier ECU from the bay, and will update you on that.
I'll type out the part numbers too in case Google reads this:
DCU R 04010028 B
SERIAL No 2178 JPG
96 304 669 80
Numbers from the earlier ECU:
DCU R 04010019 A
SERIAL No 91243 GOG
96 274 538 80
(I think the important numbers in these are the B and the A, someone on vegetableoildiesel.co.uk I was speaking to who cured the same problem said he thinks the one that fixed it ended in A, but I'll keep you guys up to date!)
So that's where I'm up to so far!
I've only got a picture of the back at the moment, but as I do more things (considering new alloys) I'll keep this thread updated!
Hopefully I didn't ramble too much there!