[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
406oc.co.uk • View topic - The Defender

The Defender

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com

The Defender

Postby Bailes1992 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:20 am

2016 Ford Focus Style 1.5TDCi (120ps) - Company Car
2016 Dacia Duster Laureate 1.5DCi 4WD - Wife's
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi - Toy
Bailes1992

Re: The Defender

Postby PeterN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:04 am

Nice gauge job, I like the cat to. We could do with something like that (not the cat we have three) as we have to traverse a forest track to reach the road although all the cars we have had have coped with it OK. Mind you until the 406 they had mostly been hydropnumatic Citroens which were very good but the 406 is fine.

Those land rovers may be plagued with problem but they last, I think there are more original ones on the road than any other car. I drove one belonging to a friend of mine in the '60s and thought it was dreadful but they have come on a bit now. I did fancy a Range Rover at one time but not the fuel consumption!

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Postby Bailes1992 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Bailes1992

Postby PeterN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:28 pm

I like cats, always have done, my wife is the dog person. The only dog I really like is a German Shepherd, what I call a dog shaped dog, so I compromised and let her have one. We have kept them since the mid '60's.

We had a siamese cat and a moggie that were 18 and 20 years old respectively, sadly they both died last year within 2 days of each other, we looked at getting another chocolate point kitten but the price was ridiculous, I told the wife I'm not paying more for a cat than I do for a car! so we managed to find someone who wanted to rehome 3 siamese, we didn't really want 3 but they are lovely.

At least as you say the parts for the defender and cheap and available which makes life easier for you. I go more for comfort than speed nowadays - well I have for sometime, I ran the big Citroen estates for many years largely for their superb ride comfort and their space, I was a TV engineer for 50 years and used to deal in ex rental TVs which I went all over the country for so needed a bit of room.

I originally bought my first CX because of the superb diesel engine, up until then I had been doing diesel conversions as you couldn't buy a decent manufactured diesel car, but I didn't realise what a superb car they were until I started driving them.

I started with the CX then XM's and finally the C5 but I wasn't impressed with that, nothing like as good a ride as the early ones, so I switched to the 406, ride not as good although acceptable but handling much better.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Postby OllieNZ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Iirc you can pick up -50mm springs for them, combined with some bilstein offroad b8 series shocks the difference will be night and day.
A discovery transfer case will give you a slightly higher high ratio 1.2:1 vs 1.4:1 but the low dosen't change. The transfer case is known as an LT230 Google will turn up more info about them than you'd care to know.
As a side note, look into a steering damper kit for your mum's jimny (if she still has it) they bolt on in about 10mins and will dramatically improve the steering feel.
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Postby Bailes1992 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:44 am

Bailes1992

Postby OllieNZ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:01 am

OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Postby Welly » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:22 pm

One Life.

Live it.

:cheesy:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Postby steve_earwig » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Can you still buy spray on mud?
Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby Bailes1992 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:55 am

Managed to get a day working on the Defender yesterday. Engine needed a service (although I haven't done the fuel filtet yet) and it's habit of leaking oil is driving me nuts.

As I was planning on replacing the valve caps and adjusting the valve clearances I decided to remove the glowplugs to make it easier to turn over the engine. I must admit, I was a bit worried that the glowplugs would snap off. However, it would seem the rocker cover oil leak for the last 2 years had freed them up nicely and they practically fell out!

The engine was looking in a pretty sorry state where it's been leaking oil for YEARS!

I whipped the rocker cover off to find she was very very clean internally.

Stuck a new set of valve caps on and adjusted the valve lash to 0.20mm.

Old valve caps looked okay if I'm honest but the valve lash was excessive.

I degreased the rocker cover to remove as much of the varnish as possible and threw a new gasket on it.

One of the breather hoses was split so I've ordered a new one and bodged this one up with insulation tape for the time being.

I replaced the 'O' ring on the catch tank as the old one had gone flat.

New glowplugs got a healthy smearing of this stuff.

Read somewhere that it was designed by Mercedes for use on glowplugs and spark plugs. I use it on both and has done me well!

Although I'm convinced all the oil leaks are a result of the rocker cover leaking and running down the block I threw a tube of this stuff in too. Hopefully it will soften and swell all the old seals.

I decided to go for a heavy duty diesel engine oil. They have much better detergents and soot holding characteristics, also cheap at £50 for 25 litres. I've used a few HDEO oil on sludged up engines and it's amazing what a few thousand miles running a HDEO will shift!

I then soaked the engine in a strong TFR for half an hour and pressure washed it off.

I also flushed out all the chassis while I was at it. It's amazing how much crap was in them. I don't think the chassis has ever been injected at all. Certainly something that needs doing ASAP.
Bailes1992

Postby Bailes1992 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 am

Gutted. Took it out for a drive and the engine is covered in oil again! :frown: :cry:

This was after 3 miles...

The oil level hasn't been dropping quick enough for this amount of fluid and the new rocker cover gasket isn't leaking anywhere so I can only assume it's the injector seals. Strange how it looks oily. Maybe it's a bit of carbon in with it?

At least the injectors should come out easy as it's been leaking so bad.
Bailes1992

Postby rwb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:56 pm

rwb
3.0 24v

Postby OllieNZ » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:47 pm

It's amazing how far a little oil goes, especially when it's hot. I'd be surprised if you've lost much more than a tablespoons worth. You also appear to be missing a pipe connection on that injector?
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Postby Bailes1992 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:51 am

Bailes1992

Return to Pug pictures