[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
406oc.co.uk • View topic - Which German?

Which German?

Polls go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Which German?

Audi
7%
BMW
60%
Mercedes Benz
20%
Never!
13%

Total votes : 15

Re: Which German?

Postby FarmerPug » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:36 pm

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Postby mjb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 pm

<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
mjb
Site Admin

Postby FarmerPug » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Mercs rust problems were all during their phase when they were making rubbish, but now they are building good stuff would anyone consider a new merc over a new bmw.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Postby waue1978 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:55 pm

2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Postby FarmerPug » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 pm

doesnt bmw diesel engines have a tendancy to consume turbos, merc diesels are known for being strong and dependable and the old ones work well with veg oil. And the big e class estate is HUGE.
My 1988 e class estate did start to rust a bit, where it had been hit, where the aeriel was removed on the wheel arches, and that was it not bad for a 20 year old, it had sat for a year when i bought it, i put a battery in it and it started on the first turn of the key.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Postby waue1978 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 pm

From http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bm ... ection=bad

Turbo trouble with early 530ds caused by ECU programme allowing higher boost than safe for turbo. Cured by replacing turbo, reprogramming ECU and thoroughly cleaning turbo inlet manifold and pipework because a blockage can cause the engine to run on its sump oil and self-destruct.

& if you get one late enough to avoid that:

Inlet manifold swirl flap of 530d prone to breaking off and being ingested by the engine, wrecking it. www.pmwltd.co.uk has a solution for this, which is a billet aluminium blanking plate that is substituted for the swirl flap. Well worth doing because it could save the cost of a new engine or having to scrap the car. Only cars from 2001 to 2004 are affected. So early E39 cars (from 1996 to 2000) are not affected. Some 2000 models may be affected, but very few. If you're not sure you can locate the air intake manifold (black plastic on the passenger side of the engine bay) and your hand fits underneath. If you feel a metal rod running the length of it underneath this manifold, then you do have swirl flaps. No rod, no swirl flaps, nothing to worry about.

525d = no such probs! :wink:
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Postby mjb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:45 pm

<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
mjb
Site Admin

Postby Gary406 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:52 pm

:shock: :shock:
that would put any buyer off if they never owned a 406 before, shocking

working used speedos ? gold dust , what the hell :lol: hundreds online
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Postby steve_earwig » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:57 pm

And it isn't the speedo that goes anyway.
Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby rwb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:32 pm

rwb
3.0 24v

Postby FarmerPug » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 pm

i like the way it says replacement of brake disks pads and shoes costs £450, WHERE does it cost that much is this if you get them made out of gold and ask prince charles to put them in for you in a lexus dealership. I got all that for £130, attempted it myself gave up on the front pads and connecting the rear handbrake cables, so i paid my cousin £20 and got him a chip and a 6 pack of bud. Still didnt cost £130.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Postby rwb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Discs and pads all round, handbrake shoes cost me £250 plus another £250 to fit.
rwb
3.0 24v

Postby FarmerPug » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Thats quite expensive, wouldnt you give it a go yourself?
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Postby rwb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:47 pm

:(

I'd love to be able to a fraction of the stuff you lot get up to :mrgreen:

I have no experience, and if I mess up then there's nobody I can ask for help. Therefore I'm apprehensive about doing anything at all.
And I have only very basic tools, and have to work outside the flat,... (excuses, excuses)
rwb
3.0 24v

Postby rwb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Just reading that back: they're crap excuses. I should get my arse in gear.
rwb
3.0 24v

PreviousNext

Return to Polls